Saturday, August 22, 2009

BLOWN. UH. WAY.

Good heavens what a show.


Andy, Andy's sister, and I attended the Flaming Lips concert at Marymoor Park in Redmond, WA, this evening. And I have two things to tell you:

1) If you go to just one rock concert in your entire life, go to The Flaming Lips.
2) If you go to a Flaming Lips show, for goodness' sake stand in the very front row.

I was a little scared at first - Flaming Lips? Front row? Could get intense. But I would have regretted it for life if we hadn't. And they filmed this concert live for future distribution, so if you ever get your eyes on a copy, look for us. We're in the front on the far left side from the camera's perspective. Andy is wearing a D.A.R.E. shirt and I'm in rainbow stripes.

When Wayne Coyne walked onto the stage the first time with his grey suit, skinny legs, and cavalierly-untied pink bow tie, the entire population of Marymoor Park got a crush on him. And when he exited after a beautiful, beautiful encore ("Do You Realize?"), we were all in love with him. They played all the ones I was hoping they would play ("Yeah Yeah Yeah," "Bad Days," "Yoshimi," "She Don't Use Jelly," and, of course, "Do You Realize?"), but some of the most incredible parts were the instrumental stretches composed of pure sound, light, and vibration. And the entire front row (I was between Andy and a guy I didn't know. It was his birthday) put their arms around each other for the last song. I've never seen a massive crowd leave a place so giddy with goodwill.

I had to get a shirt. I had to get the shirt that reads, "I experienced The Flaming Lips in concert and it made me a better human being."

Yep.

0 reason(s) to click here: