Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ici Repose Un Fry Cook

I bet you didn't know that the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is located in the Wilkinson Student Center kitchen. I mean it - there's a flame in a stove in the center of the kitchen, at the corner of the bain marie and the fryer, and it never goes out. I've been there at open, I've been there at close, I've been one of the last two humans to leave the Cougareat for the night, and still that little flame burns. (Do you remember the Pete and Pete episode where little Pete attempts to make an eternal flame monument for his dead lizard, Gary? I sure do.) It makes me swell with emotion a little each time I pass by, it makes me wonder at all the anonymous lives lost to the bloody hands of food retail, and it makes me ask what I'm working for. I come to the bittersweet conclusion that I'm working for the money and the 50% off card. And I move on.

In other news, it's been raining. I wish I could really tell you what rain does to me inside. Picture a balloon being released into the atmosphere, Julie Andrews singing on a mountaintop, receiving a letter by post, and drinking a big glass of ice water when you're real thirsty, all at once, and that's sort of what it's like. You wouldn't have thought so last night, as it was kinda cold and I was running on minimal sleep, but I still got to walk around in it for a bit with one of my favorite humans. I remember going to Optimistic.'s apartment for some reason with Uffish last spring, and it was night and it was raining real hard, and I tried to tell her how happy I was, but I don't think she believed me.

I've been in a slump this semester. It's been a mix of stress and sleeplessness and guilt and confusion and having a big jerk of an immune system for six weeks solid. (Hehe. I just pulled out a banana chip that looks like one of those finger skateboards they used to make when I was in highschool. And now it is eaten.) I haven't been my shiny, easy going, happy-to-the-point-of-chemical-imbalance (perception of my) self ... which is ironic timing for my personal life. You know what one of the most oft-repeated sentences in my prayers is? I thank the Lord for the people in my life.

I love you guys.

6 reason(s) to click here:

Brooklyn said...

There's a flame like that in the Skyroom kitchen, too. I almost put it out once and got severely reprimanded - they explained to me that if it didn't stay on, the Wilk could blow up. Or something like that.

And I understand on the rain. One of my favorite quotes is from A Wrinkle in Time - "Wild nights are my glory." I revel in those rainstorms. It's like home, but with no tornados.

Unknown said...

I could have written that post almost word for word. I feel exactly the same about the rain, and I feel exactly the same about my friends. Kudos on expressing those ideas far more eloquently than I could.

ahem. said...

It's a pilot light, silly.

Also, I like you.

A lot.

Genuine Draft said...

Ditto. I couldn't fall asleep last night, and instead of being in bed I wanted more than anything to be out on my porch in the rain. It rained the first day I was in Florida this summer, and it was so warm, and the street was so flooded, that we went out and laid down in the road - the filthy filthy road, and played in it.

Did I ever mention that I like you a whole lot?

Heather said...

That has been my most-said-prayer as of late. It's a good one, isn't it?

Thirdmango said...

I've wanted to move to Seattle simply because of my love for rain, I want to move to Seattle for more reasons but that, but if that were the only reason I would still want to move there. I walk slower when it's raining because of the way it feels and makes me feel. I don't own an umbrella for this exact point.

And I do remember this episode, not as well as I should but probably cause it's not in the first season. The episode that I've remembered incredibly well from my childhood is the unending phone call. Once I've watched the second season I'll be more knowledgable.