Thursday, June 30, 2011

Great Movies, or Proof that My Husband is My Soulmate

Andy recently made me watch an old 1970s film called The Network. It's about a television network that never really existed, but could have. And it may well be the best movie I've ever seen.

It's missing all the elements that people normally say they like about a movie - it's not particularly cinematic or beautiful, you don't relate to...or even like...the characters at all, and it doesn't have a redemptive ending. But the writing! The acting! Incredible. Andy called it "a very realistic satire," and it is. It's a twisted story told so straight it could almost be documentary.

There are only a few movies I've ever had this strong a reaction to (the ones that come to mind are Dark StarHarold and Maude, Waltz With Bashir, and, in its own way, A Town Called Panic), and the thing they all seem to have in common is that they all have the guts to go there. And then the smarts to pull it off.

But I'm not recommending this movie to you. For one thing, it's rated R (mostly for swearing). Plus it's just bizarre. Most of the movies I deeply love are even too weird for some of my weirder friends. I just want you to know that it moved me.

In any case, at the end of The Network, I picked my jaw up off the floor, looked at Andy, and said, "Why was this movie so good?" He smiled at me knowingly, and I knew I married the right person.

(If anyone is interested in seeing one of the more over-the-top, famous, and fabulous scenes from the movie, click here.)

4 reason(s) to click here:

Andy M said...

So, Summer, you just hyped this to me as the post about how I'm your soulmate, only to find that it's about how Network is your soulmate. Ouch.

Marduk, slayer of Tiamat said...

"I'm a human being! My life has value!"

This is one of the greatest movies ever made. It certainly stands the test of time; as true (if not truer) now as when it was made.

I've got to remember to show this one to Michele.

Holly K said...

I watched this earlier this year after listening to some movie's commentary track that was constantly saying "This is exactly like Network," "This was done as an homage to Network," etc. (I don't remember what movie it was, sorry.)

Anyway, it was interesting enough and now I get a lot more real world references about people being "mad as h***" and unwilling to "take it anymore."

All in all, a movie I'm glad I've seen.

Lisa Loo said...

Harold and Mandude? :D